www.forums.luftwaffedata.co.uk

This forum is associated with www.luftwaffedata.co.uk
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Help needed in identifying these He 59s
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:30 pm 

Please see the attached photos of He 59s.

Can anyone assist with any information about the unit, location etc.

Andy Mitchell
http://www.luftwaffedata.co.uk
===============

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:30 pm 

Andy...

There is a line drawing in Barry Rosch's Luftwaffe Codes, Markings & Units 1939-1945 (Schiffer) on page 403 of a Heinkel 60C bearing a similar code of S6+E20. This machine was apparently operational with Flugeugführerschule (See) 3 at Stettin.

My knowledge of pre-war codes is not great, but as I understand it, the 'S6' part of the code identified the unit as a Schule (training unit) within Luftkreis VI, whose headquarters were at Kiel in northern Germany. The 'E' could be the aircraft or Flight I/D letter and the last two numbers identified the machine's position within the entire training unit, therefore the two Heinkel He59s in these photos would be aircraft 67 and 78, and the He60 in the above publication would have been aircraft 20.

It is also my belief that maritime training units' codes were interpreted slightly diferently from operational maritime units of the period where a five-character code was in use, so a little caution should be exercised here.

In addition to Stettin, maritime training units are known to have been situated at Warnemünde and Püttnitz, although I cannot find the latter on even a very old and detailed map of Germany that I have... :? Some operational units using the He59 were based at Hörnum/Sylt, Dievenow (Pommern) and Pillau-Lochstadt in the Kurisches Haff (Ostpreußen).

Regards... :)