www.forums.luftwaffedata.co.uk

This forum is associated with www.luftwaffedata.co.uk
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Concrete remnants related to LW Bergebataillion VII
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:45 pm 

Hi,

I am a train enthusiast from Münster, Germany. I specifically investigate the history of Güterumgehungsbahn Münster (Münster freight bypass; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCns ... ss_railway), which was opened in October 1930 and still is in use today. From aerial images ranging from the 1920s when the bypass was built and the 1940s I know the tracks played some part in WW II, mostly as being a bombing target, but not only: There are reports of a bunker built right into the dam (http://7grad.org/Exkursionen/Muenster/B ... sbahn.html, through I think the reference to the Gremmendorf airfield is wrong as it is not even close to the tracks; I never could find the damn thing so far; from the sign in on of the photos it seems to be used by the DB as a depot) and there are rumors of an underpass at Pleister being used as a shelter (which is a private warehouse today).

I came across some concrete remnants on the western side of the dam, close to Albersloher Weg and the former Loddenheide airfield. I attached two pictures. They show the lintel of a buried entrance (my guess). It looks like the numbers "1944" have been chiseled out on the top. The letters read "LW. BERGEBATAILLION VII". On the bottom there is the figure of an eagle on top of an emblem.

On the internet I could find precious little about the Bergebataillion, and nothing on the concrete remnants. Aerial photos shot in the 1940s show military installations belonging to the airfield in the area (can't post those; copyright issues).

Any ideas/ suggestions?

Best regards,

Chris

Attachments:
20140420-161006.jpg
20140420-161006.jpg [ 160.62 KB | Viewed 943 times ]
20140323-143222.jpg
20140323-143222.jpg [ 202.73 KB | Viewed 942 times ]
20140323-142922.jpg
20140323-142922.jpg [ 201.41 KB | Viewed 943 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Concrete remnants related to LW Bergebataillion VII
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Chris, Very interesting.

Larry deZeng's "Luftwaffe Airfields 1935-45" work covering Germany (http://www.ww2.dk/Airfields%20-%20Germany%20[1937%20Borders].pdf) has reference to Lw.-Berge-Btl. VII being based there from Apr 44 to Jan 45.

I have e-mailed Larry in the hope that he has some more information regarding that unit.

Attached is a description of the airfield taken from "List of Airbases - German" correct at Nov 1941 issued by British Military Intelligence.

Attachments:
Munster-Loddenheide.JPG
Munster-Loddenheide.JPG [ 138.78 KB | Viewed 940 times ]

Andy Mitchell
LuftwaffeData Forum Site Admin
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

Chris,

I have had a reply from Larry which I will post below.

"Here is what I have on Lw.-Berge-Btl. VII. I do not know what the bunker is for, but my guess would be that it was just an air raid bunker reserved for the use of the battalion staff. It had no function other that to investigate, secure and salvage crashed aircraft, both German and enemy, this being done over a very large area. The salvaged metal was sent directly to a smelting facility and not to Loddenheide.

Lw.-Berge-Bataillon VII

Formed 1 September 1943 in Germany by renaming Luftzeugstab 107. Under Luftwaffen-Befehlshaber Mitte (later re-designated Luftflotte Reich), it consisted of a Stab only that controlled the following independent units:

Landesschützen-Kp. 3/XVII,

Landesschützen-Züge 40/IV, 66/VI, 336/VI, 339/VI and 458/VI,

Flugzeugbergungstrupps 15/III, 16/III, 17/III, 18/III, 19/III and 20/III.[1]

The mission of the Bataillon was to guard the sites of crashed aircraft and salvage the remnants.

Service History

18 Oct 43: a Saimann 202 Italian-built liaison, training and general purpose single-engine aircraft belonging to the Bataillon crashed near Rome-Ciampino airfield after being shot up by enemy planes.[2] Note: all of these Berge-Bataillonen had one or more light aircraft used to search for crashed planes. This one was being picked up in Italy at this time.

4 May 44: Bataillon at Münster-Loddenheide.[3]

Jan 45: Münster-Loddenheide. Bataillon responsible for the entire West area from the Dutch coast to the Saar, including the Ruhr area.[4]

Mar 45: Münster-Loddenheide.[5]

FpN: L 10271.

Kommandeur:

Maj. Viktor Schobinger (13 Sep 43 - ?)

[1] Org.Abt./Genst.d.Lw. 12781/43.

[2] BA-MA Freiburg: Loss Reports for the school units.

[3] Jet & Prop Magazin, Heft 6/96, Seite (page) 19.

[4] P/W interrogation ADI(K) 243/45.

[5] British Air Ministry air intelligence report."

If you can provide any additional information concerning this unit, I will pass it along so Larry can add it to his write-up, if warranted.
If you are able to provide a set of co-ordinates for the bunker this might be of use in trying to position the bunker in any maps that exist of the airfield and its surroundings.

Hope that the above is of help.

Andy Mitchell
LuftwaffeData Forum Site Admin

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:59 am 

Awesome! Did not get notified by email, so just saw your post just now.

Thank you very much!

Chris

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:06 am 

wekusta wrote:
If you can provide any additional information concerning this unit, I will pass it along so Larry can add it to his write-up, if warranted.
If you are able to provide a set of co-ordinates for the bunker this might be of use in trying to position the bunker in any maps that exist of the airfield and its surroundings.

I'll do that (provide location information), as well as some context photos, likely on this weekend. There is not much left, and the area is fenced in (it is now a small garden colony, "Schrebergarten" in German). I hope some some day I'll meet some old folks who maybe know a bit more about what this is, and what happened when. Loddenheide itself is now an industrial area which, after a major bomb clean up, saw lots of construction in the last 10-20 years - no open field any more.

Profile E-mail