www.forums.luftwaffedata.co.uk

This forum is associated with www.luftwaffedata.co.uk
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Aufkl.Gr. 32 coding on Hs 126
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:05 pm 

Hi Andy and all

A selection of Henschel Hs 126 photos of Aufkl.Gr.32 has appeared on eBay. The set raised a series of question regarding confusing codes and emblems. Earlier today I opened a thread at TO’CH and gained some important answers. However further confirmation and solid proof is still needed.

Initially the most confusing question was a Henschel Hs 126 coded V7+2G. I had forgotten the various Fw189 which I have seen over the years with this strange coding system. In this case the ‘2’ is the staffel number and the G the individual a/c letter. I am sure that you are aware of this anomaly, but it may be worth explaining it on the wiki site? I also wonder if anyone is aware of the origins of this system? Numbers and letters were used in this way in the pre-war system, but not in this order.

The second query concerns two (possibly one) aircraft, with codes M4+F_ and (under-wing) M_+_P. On M4+F_ part of the last letter was visible and I assumed that it was M4+FR of 7./Aufkl.Gr.32. However I am not convinced that the emblem on show was that of 7./Aufkl.Gr.32. It was suggested that the code was M4+FP and therefore the same as the aircraft with the under wing code M_+_P. The outlined F does however look red, which would still not conform to this staffel code (but I could be wrong with the colour).

Is there any other evidence of 6./Aufkl.Gr.32 aircraft with the M4+_P code (and any sign of an emblem?)

Regards

Ian

Attachments:
Henschel Hs 126, M4+FR, 7.(H).Aufkl.Gr. 32, (eBay) (1).jpg
Henschel Hs 126, M4+FR, 7.(H).Aufkl.Gr. 32, (eBay) (1).jpg [ 136.38 KB | Viewed 889 times ]
Henschel Hs 126, M_+_P, (H).Aufkl.Gr. 32, (eBay).jpg
Henschel Hs 126, M_+_P, (H).Aufkl.Gr. 32, (eBay).jpg [ 178.9 KB | Viewed 895 times ]
Henschel Hs 126, V7+ZG, (H).Aufkl.Gr. 32, (eBay).jpg
Henschel Hs 126, V7+ZG, (H).Aufkl.Gr. 32, (eBay).jpg [ 182.68 KB | Viewed 890 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Aufkl.Gr. 32 coding on Hs 126
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:19 pm 
Reproduced from "Luftwaffe Codes, Markings and Units 1939-45" by B.Rosch [Schiffer, 1995]

"Aufkl.Gr.(H)32 had a unique marking system. The Gruppe code V7+?? was standard. However, a second number instead of a letter was positioned immediately after of the fuselage cross (left side of the fuselage) which directly indicated the number of the Staffel. The last letter in this type of code was the individual aircraft letter. The operational code M4+?? was assigned to the 7th and 8th Staffel of this Gruppe. The code V7+?? is also reported as being used by Kurrierstaffel 5 and 5./Fl.Verb.Gesch 2, probably from transferred aircraft"

Cheers
Peter D Evans
LEMB Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:51 pm 

Thanks Peter, that confirms the system used with V7+ aircraft, but the source still indicates that only 7 and 8 staffel carried the M4 code with normal coding system. The top two photos (and a couple of others in this collection) suggest that 6./Aufkl.Gr. 32 also used M4+. So still looking for other photos/evidence of this staffel.

Ian

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:09 am 

An unusual aircraft (Arado Ar 66) with the Aufkl.Gr. 32 V7+ code from eBay. This one would be 2.(H)/32. Still looking for more M4+ coded aircraft.

Ian

Attachments:
Arado Ar 66, V7+2Z, 2.(H)Aufkl.Gr. 32, (eBay).jpg
Arado Ar 66, V7+2Z, 2.(H)Aufkl.Gr. 32, (eBay).jpg [ 139.34 KB | Viewed 854 times ]
 Profile E-mail