www.forums.luftwaffedata.co.uk

This forum is associated with www.luftwaffedata.co.uk
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Additional info for Aufklärer pt.1 from Classic/Chevron
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:31 pm 

Some additional information regarding the photo of the two Heinkel He 114s at the top of p.74, IY+YK "44" and IY+YG "42" from my colleague Mikael Olrog. The digits applied to the cowlings are not the last two of the respective W.Nrn as previously thought but are the aircraft numbers assigned to them by the Swedish Air Force. They had been ordered for the Swedish Air Force in November 1939 for delivery between December 39 and February 40, but were retained by Germany and impressed into Luftwaffe service. Each of the twelve aircraft ordered were issued with aircraft numbers 41-52 which in turn, was painted by Heinkel on the nose and would later have appeared on the fuselage e.g. 2+41, 2+42 etc.

Although it seems that, the aircraft with "42" was assigned SwAF serial 4002 and was connected to W.Nr. 2273 while the aircraft with "44" was assigned FV serial 4004 and had W.Nr. 2283. However, this area is still under research and hopefully will be resolved in the near future.

Regards
Dave

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:22 pm 

David

On Sept 30th, 1939 Heinkel sent an offer to the Swedish Air Force staff of 12 He 114
The offer was confirmed on Nov 1st that same year
The Wing F2 depot sent a note on Nov 8th, 1939 to the Staff that they had reserved the codes 41-52 for those 12 aeroplanes. Serialnumbers 4001-4012 had already been reserved. There is no doubt that these codes were given to Heinkel since the Swedish Air Force expected the aeroplanes to be finished in required Swedish camouflage and national markings including wing codes when being picked up in Rostock. Things didn't quite turn out as we wished since the German attack on Denmark and Norway came in between and the Swedish He 114 were ALL pressed into service with the Luftwaffe. There are more He 114 photos with Swedish codenumbers on the nose, 45 being one of them (IY+YF). Due to changes in the F2 depot structure the applied codes for the He 114 after delivery had been altered and they entered service with codes 16-27 instead.

None of the other 27 ordered He 114s were delivered.

Although there were changes in the code numberings at various points they were all theoretic and I doubt very much if any such info was sent to Heinkel, and to me there is no doubt what so ever that those aeroplanes with these codes on the nose were those initially built for the Swedish Air Force.

However if those 12 that were finally DELIVERED were the same 12 that were planned, THAT is someting totally different. It is of course possible that all 12 had survived their Scandinavian campaign AND that Luftwaffe and Heinkel had such good order that exactly the same 12 built were those 12 that were finally delivered, but to me that sounds too good to be true.

Since we don't know the WNr for those initial 12 built, but only the WNr for those 12 delivered (and they are NOT in order), I have my doubts...

Cheers
Stig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:12 pm 

Thanks for the info Stig.
The He 114 is not really an aircraft that I know much about so I have to rely on people like yourself and Mikael to 'fill in the gaps'.

Regards

Dave

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Additional info for Aufklärer pt.1 from Classic/Chevron
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:24 pm 

Aufklärer Vol II.

Caption for photo at the top of page 17 states ".. Bf 109G-2/trop Black 14, W.Nr. 10605 of 2.(H)/14 - 20Feb43 pilot Lt Wernicke"

Unit should be 4.(H)/12 - source Gen.Qu.6.Abt. (gives rank as Oblt)

Oblt Gerhard Wernicke was awarded the DKiG 17Oct43 with 4.(H)/12

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Additional info for Aufklärer pt.1 from Classic/Chevron
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:36 pm 

You're right Andy.
Accordingly, I will thrash the editor with a soggy noodle by way of compensation! :wink:

Cheers

Dave

Profile E-mail