www.forums.luftwaffedata.co.uk

This forum is associated with www.luftwaffedata.co.uk
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Crash site
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:26 am 

Hi,
i found in this beautiful site the following infos':

12 Sep 1944 – Engine failure claimed another victim.

Date Unit Aircraft Type Code Wkr.No. Notes
12 Sep 1944 6(F)./122 Ju 188D-2 F6+LP 150235 Crashed no details available, all of Ltn. Gottfried Heene’s crew were killed.

Well, we have discovered the crash site. Mr. Corsagli wrote some years ago about this tragedy, he get informations from Berlin's Bundesarchiv, they knew that plane crashed in Val Corsaglia, Cuneo, NW Italy, 12 or 13 September 1944. Now we have found the exact location, a large area in a forest, many aluminium remains and 13/20 mm ammo still present.
Can somebody help us to recover further informations about this plane and its Crew?

Thanks in advance

Sofocle62

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Crash site
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

Sofocle62,

Thank you for joining the forum and for your complements about the site.

Unfortunately, that is probably the extent of the information that I have available. There are no surviving loss returns for 1944.

See page 105 of Beale et al "Air War Italy" this indicates that the crew were injured and not killed - do you have any further details from the Bundesarchiv?

If you have any suitable photos of the crash site I could post some on the web site and give suitable credit to yourselves.

Andy Mitchell
LuftwaffeData Forum Site Admin

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Crash site
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:34 am 

Hi,
yesterday I was back on the crash site. There I found an old man, who was present the night between 12 and 13 September, 1944. He told me they saw the plane arriving with a burning engine just over their houses, and then they heard a big explosion.... I'm sorry, i haven't that book, but old man said me they've found all the crew in very bad conditions, only one was recognizable.... The morning after, a German column arrived to recover bodies and weapons. Remains were buried in a small cemetery near Fontane,Frabosa Soprana. Now i'll try to discover identity of the crew. Here is a Google earth view of the site.

Profile E-mail