This forum is associated with www.luftwaffedata.co.uk
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 3.(F)/122 Sweden 1940 - Repost
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

Tony Kearns Posted: Oct 8 2005, 05:29 PM

Hello,
He111 Wnr 5575 F6+NL force landed Sweden June 3 1940 can someone tell me were the crew interned for a period. I believe that the aircraft was returned. Many thanks. Congratulations Andy for getting this site up and running.
Tony K

-------------------------------------------------
Andy Mitchell Posted: Oct 8 2005, 10:25 PM

Tony,

Firstly, a warm welcome to the board.

This is very interesting as I do not have anything on this loss and the aircraft's subsequent return. Can I ask as to the source of the information.

At this time 3(F)./122 were operating out of Munster and appear, from the sorties that I have, to have been flying over the Western Front and not to be part of operations over Scandinavia - but you never know.

--------------------

Best Regards

Andy Mitchell
http://www.luftwaffedata.co.uk

Tony Kearns Posted: Oct 9 2005, 07:47 PM

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the welcome.
This would normally be outside my area of interest (the air war over Ireland) but the reason becomes clear. The information comes from "The Luftwaffe in Sweden 1939-1945" by Bo Widfeldt. I do not have the book but working from a photo copy of the page in question. The area is listed as Gaddede northwest of Frostviken, crew listed as Olt. Louis Ferdinand Wentz, Uffz. Otto Schmidt, Uffz. Ludvig Volk and Inspector Arthur Klanke. It made a wheels up force landing and according to the notes it was returned to Germany. I was wondering when the crew were relaease or did they escape?. Inspector Arthur Klanke was the met man on board a Ju88 Wekusta 2 which force landed in Ireland in Dec 1941 and is reported as very confidently stating to the Irish Military that as he had been interned in Sweden and escaped after five weeks he could do the same in Ireland! It did not work out that way for him and so he "stayed" for the duration. You have listed Wentz for 2 June 1940 but from 1./(F)122 but with differing initials, could be the same incident.
Kind regards
Tony K

Andy Mitchell Posted: Oct 9 2005, 09:43 PM

Tony,

The detail comes from p340 of Chris Shores' "Fledgling Eagles" and is recorded under 2/06/40. However, it could be a little ambiguous with regard to the date - see what you think -

"Following this hectic aerial fighting, mist and low cloud put an end to most Luftwaffe bombing attacks during the next few days. Despite this bad weather, an He 111 of 1(F)./122 attempted a reconnaissance over Vestfjord and Narvik, but was obliged to force land near the Lofotens when it ran out of fuel. Lt Günter Wentz and his crew were rescued unhurt by a German ASR aircraft. To the south....."

Could not find Frostviken but did find Gaddede which is considerably further southe than either Narvik or the Lofotens.

Also in the personnel listing for 3(F)./122 you will find an Oblt Louis Ferdinand Wentz - b. 1913 served Aug 1939 to Jul 1940! Also listed is an Oberfw L Volk - MIA 9 Dec 1941 (source Blitz TaN)

More mystery than resolution me thinks!

--------------------

Best Regards

Andy Mitchell
http://www.luftwaffedata.co.uk

Profile E-mail