www.forums.luftwaffedata.co.uk

This forum is associated with www.luftwaffedata.co.uk
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 1(F)123 loss 26/05/40 - Repost
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:44 pm 

wekusta Posted: Jun 1 2006, 09:24 PM

26 May 1940 A Do 17F of 1(F)./123 was shot down following combat with two Gladiators. The plane had been flown up to Trondheim because 1(F)./120 had been short of aircraft and personnel. Fw Anton Schairer and crew were all killed when the Do 17F crashed in pieces at Skaanland.

Can anyone advise the names of the rest of the crew?

The unit that the Gladiators belonged to?

Many thanks

--------------------

Best Regards

Andy Mitchell
http://www.luftwaffedata.co.uk

----------------------------------------------
Adam Posted: Jun 1 2006, 11:18 PM

Shores notes on p.329 (Fledgling Eagels) that the pilots of the Gladiators were Flt Lt Williams and Sgt Milligan however there is no mention of the unit, but 263 Sqdn. was in the area at the time.

Might also have been flown off either the Furious or Glorious...

regards

Adam

Adam Posted: Jun 8 2006, 12:25 AM

To add to the above,

T Derry's 'The campaign in Norway' notes on p.192

"The only encouraging feature of the withdrawal was the presence of British aircraft, three Gladiators which had been sent from the newly-established air base at Bardufoss on the 26th. One of them unfortunately crashed on taking off from an improvised runway of wire-covered grass sods outside Bodo, but even two fighters patrolling by turns had a value quiote beyond their immediate score of two German aircraft brought down and two more damaged."

The aircraft refered to as being lost is Gladiator II N5705 from 263 Sqdn. So hopefully that is enough circumstantial evidence to tie everything together for you

regards

Adam

wekusta Posted: Jun 8 2006, 06:30 AM

Adam

Many thanks for looking at this

--------------------

Best Regards

Andy Mitchell

Post subject: 1./(F)123 aircrew loss 26th May 1940
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:44 pm 

Hi Andy, First may I send you all my best wishes for Christmas and the New Year! It has been a long time since we were last in contact but I had the hassle of moving house but now I am slowly getting my research projects back into order. I noticed your post regarding the loss of three members of the 1st Staffel, Fernaufklärungsgruppe 123 in Norway on the 26th May 1940. From my records I can give you the following information regarding the incident: I have the aircraft being a Ju 52/3m coded BA + KH (III./KGr.zbV.106) and was piloted by Uffz. Peter Endres born 19.03.08 in Essen, his R/Op was Uffz. Franz Herp born 17.05.1914 in Gernsbach and finally the Gunner Fw. Anton Schairer born 17.01.1913 in Ueberlingen, all personnel of 1./(F)123. Failed to return from flight to Narvik, believed shot down at 16.30 hours by F/L Caeser Hull in a Gloster Gladiator. There were a further six fatalities in the crash which included five members from 4./Fallschirm Regiment 1, Gefr. Walter Bellmann, Obgefr. Ernst Böttcher, Jager. Werner Schemmel, Gefr. Wilhelm Geiger and Jager. Harry Ludeke. Fallschirmschule 1, Witstock lost Fw. Karl Linek. The aircraft came down at Ekornes, Evensdal in Saldtal, Norway. Check out this excellent Norwegian web site for photos of Schairer & Herp plus original grave marker! (http://www.flyvrak.info).

Kind regards

Melvin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:35 pm 

Melvin - good to here from you again and a Merry Christmas to you too and welcome to the board.

Many thanks for the additional information, most useful.

Andy Mitchell
===============