www.forums.luftwaffedata.co.uk

This forum is associated with www.luftwaffedata.co.uk
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Uffz Albert Rippel, 3./Akgr 122, searching for a loss - Repo
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:59 pm 

Dennis Peschier Posted: Jan 30 2006, 09:21 PM

Hello all,

I wondered if anyone can help me. I am trying to find out more abouth the death of Uff. Albert Rippel. He died north of Dunkirk on July 27, 1943. He was attached to 3./(F)AkGr.122 at the time. This is all I know at the moment.

Who knows more?

Dennis

-----------------------------------------------------
dave wadman Posted: Jan 31 2006, 03:45 PM

Hi Dennis,

Both Andy Mitchell and I have a fairly comprehensive personnel listing for the 122 but a search through my copy gives no one by the name of Rippel nor any name similar.

I could be that Andy has more information to post on the main 122 site but because of upgrades to his system he is liable to be off-line for a few more days.

Do you have any further info regarding Rippel such as if it was a war or test flight etc or the names of any of the remainder of the crew?

Sorry I can't be of more help at this time but I will be talking with Andy later this week so will ask him if he has any info on Rippel.

Regards

Dave

-------------------------------------------------------
Dennis Peschier Posted: Jan 31 2006, 10:48 PM

Helo Dave,

I am researching a body that was found to have an identy disk 51901/126. De Deutsche Dienststelle gave the name Uffz Albert Rippel, died 27-7-1943 north of Dunkirk, 3./(F)Akgr.122.
Hans Nauta mailed me "Fliegerhorst Schiphol" part 3, by A.A. Jansen referes that Rippel was a BM.
of the following crew
FF: Lt Robert Ziegler (21)
BO: Oblt Walter Salecker (32)
BF: Ofw Heinz Gärtner (27)
BM”Uffz Albert Rippel (23)
at 00.38 shot down by mosquito XII VY-A, S/L W. P. Green and F/Sgt A. R. Grimstone 40 km east of Ramsgate/30 km north of Dunkerk.

A reply on TOCH by Ed North gave even more details:
probably this is the one you are looking for:
430669 Ju 88 D-1 7A+BH 1.(F)/121 (Luftflotte 3)
OPS (F) missing (100%) unk location (PLQ´22-71-4´) 27.07.1943 (crew of 3.(F)/122: F Lt. Robert Ziegler, B Oblt. Walter Saaleger, BF Ofw. Heinrich Gärntner and BS Uffz. Albert Rippel missing.

It all seems to fit,.

Thats all for the moment,

Dennis

----------------------------------------------------
dave wadman Posted: Feb 1 2006, 03:25 PM

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the additional info.
I'll have a look through my files later this week to see if I can turn up any additional info on him for you.

Regards

Dave

Dennis Peschier Posted: Feb 1 2006, 07:41 PM

Looking forward to that Dave!
Did 3/122 and 1/121 share an airfield at the time?

Dennis

dave wadman Posted: Feb 1 2006, 08:53 PM

Hi Dennis,

At the time of the incident 1/121 was based at Toussus-le-Buc and the 3/122 was at Amsterdam-Schipol before moving to Istres later that month.

However, it was by no means unusual for complete crews (often with their 'own' aircraft) to be 'loaned out' to a neighbouring unit if the situation warranted it.

As an example I know of one particular crew and aircraft that were loaned out to another Staffel for two particular missions but ended up being loaned out to yet another (F) unit before returning to their own Staffel some 2 months later!

Regards

Dave

Dennis Peschier Posted: Feb 1 2006, 10:03 PM

Hello Dave,

So Toussus-le-Buc it the most likely airfield from where this crew took of from their last flight?
I was also wondering what they were doing in the middle of the night. Were they accompanying a bombing raid or where they searching for shipping? Or something else?

Regards,
Dennis

dave wadman Posted: Feb 2 2006, 12:10 AM

Hi Dennis,

IMO, there is a very good chance that they may have been operating in the flare-dropping role for night attacks against the UK during the Baedeker/Steinbock period- a not excatly uncommon mission for aircraft of the (F) Staffeln.

Often, the combat report(s) filed by RAF N/F crews contain additional info so it's entirely possible that those filed by Green & Grimstone of 85 Sqn (who claimed the victory), may have additional details.

Regards

Dave
Dennis Peschier Posted: Feb 2 2006, 12:26 PM

Hello Andrew,
I think I asked all the questions I can think of at the moment. If I find out more I will keep you informed.

Cheers,
Dennis

Dennis Peschier Posted: Aug 21 2006, 11:01 PM

The Deutsche Dienststelle was able to tell me that the crew was undertaking a Nachtbilderkundung vor der Südost-Küste von England. I was wondering if someone kwen what that means.

Dennis

ChrisMAg2 Posted: Aug 22 2006, 10:06 AM

QUOTE (Dennis Peschier @ Aug 21 2006, 10:01 PM)
The Deutsche Dienststelle was able to tell me that the crew was undertaking a Nachtbilderkundung vor der Südost-Küste von England. I was wondering if someone kwen what that means.

Dennis

Nachtbilderkundung means photo reconnaissance at or during night.
The location was southeast coast of and off England, meaning the coast line/ coastal area of SE England.

--------------------

Regards
Christian M. Aguilar