www.forums.luftwaffedata.co.uk

This forum is associated with www.luftwaffedata.co.uk
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Seekommando 115 Friedrichshafen
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:09 pm 

Hi...

Can anyone provide codes of this unit in general, and possibly specifically in relation to the attached image of a rather unusually painted He115? I have some history of the unit, hence the focus on the markings. Any other images of this aircraft would be most welcome.

Image from expired ebay auction 08/2012.

Kindest regards,

Paul

Attachments:
Heinkel He115B or C - Seekommando 115 Friedrichshafen (see 'Comments').jpg
Heinkel He115B or C - Seekommando 115 Friedrichshafen (see 'Comments').jpg [ 83.15 KB | Viewed 1374 times ]

Post subject: Re: Seekommando 115 Friedrichshafen
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:00 am 

All I know is that this unit was not entirely official. It was formed to supply the garrisons along the Atlantic coast using volunteer crews. This would suggest that there was never any real Vkz provided for the unit. From what I've been able to find out, the He 115s would have come from KüFlGrn 406 or the Er.Gr. (See) which means they most likely would have retained the K6 or 6H codes used by those groups. Given the shortage of most things by late 1944, I can't imagine repainting a Skz was high on the priority list for the quasi-Staffel.

I have never seen anything else to suggest serious activities of the unit. As for the markings, I would hazard that it was to do with the time during which the unit was active (c.11.44 - c.2.45) and was an attempt to provide some protection whilst the aircraft was alighted on the sea. However, I would tend to assume that the camouflage was a vestige of that worn by 1./406 during its tenure at Hommelvik in the lead up to its disbandment. That unit was disbanded on 20.10.1944 and the aircraft filtered back to Germany throughout October and early November and your unit seems to have picked up operational readiness from November onwards so it seems logical it was a collective effort of crews made redundant in 1./406 that decided to 'give it a go' in resupply operations. But that is entirely speculative on my part.

Unfortunately I don't have anything beyond this vague assumption. If you do come across anything I would love to hear it! Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Post subject: Re: Seekommando 115 Friedrichshafen
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:39 pm 

Hi, Adam...

Firstly, my apologies for not getting back to you sooner. I have only recently revisited this site to check on my posting and saw your contribution at that time.

Thanks for your input. Your comments largely confirm the conclusion I suppose I had already arrived at, namely that the codes of the previous unit would possibly have been left in situ on this aircraft and perhaps even overpainted to some extent with this heavy wave pattern colour scheme. The lack of any additional photographic evidence may at least allow me to consider the possibility of 'creative artwork', as I'm working on an He115 just now and was looking for something a little different.

I already have an Ar196 in the markings of Flieger Ergängzungs Gruppe (See), so I dare say I could draw on that for some form of inspiration.

Thanks again for taking time to put your thoughts into this thread... much appreciated :wink:

Kindest regards,

Paul