www.forums.luftwaffedata.co.uk

This forum is associated with www.luftwaffedata.co.uk
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Albert Reinhardt history
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:59 pm 

I originally put this at the bottom of another post but fear it might not be seen by enough peope there so I've created a new post.
The well-known historian Theo Boiten tells me my uncle's claim for a nightfighter on Feb. 15, 1944 may have been the crew of the Bf-110 lost near Liebenwalde, north of Berlin. The time and place look fairly close but, as he cautioned, it is impossible to tell these things for certain.

I believe Andy listed them as Uffz. Albert Reinhardt, Gefr. Fritz Sommerfeldt and Gefr. Gerhard Loffner, all killed.

Does anyone know the history of this crew? Was Reinhardt the pilot? Did he have any victories that anyone knows about?
Thanks
Dan McCaffery

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Albert Reinhardt history
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Dan,

Nice to see that all this is leading somewhere, what with the notes here and on TOCH.

At the back of Balss' book there are some notes which give the impression that the first listed will be the pilot (Flugzeug fuhrer), the second the Bordfunker/-Schütze etc.

See that you went one better than getting hold of the Nachtjagd war Diaries - you contacted the man himself!

Andy Mitchell
LuftwaffeData Forum Site Admin

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:12 pm 

Theo tells me this was a replacement crew with no victories to its credit. If they were indeed the crew that attacked my uncle's Halifax their inexperience may have been a problem. They approached it from the front, but apparently did not see it in time for the pilot to open fire. Nor did their rear gunner fire as they passed the Halifax. They were spotted by both the Halifax bomb aimer (while they were still in front) and by my uncle. When they did attack from the rear (again assuming it was them) they came diectly at the bomber, with no attempt made to get below, or off to the side.
I don't mean to be critical of them. They were brave men who were only trying to defend their country. But as we all know, novice airmen were often lost before gaining the experience they needed to be effective.

Reinhardt was the pilot, Sommerfeldt the radar/radio operator and Loffner the air gunner.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

Dan,

Glad to see the research is beginning to pull something together.

Andy Mitchell
LuftwaffeData Forum Site Admin

Profile E-mail